Friday 30 January 2009

ANNiE LEiBOViTZ at the NPG


I went to see the Annie Leibovitz exhibition at The National Portrait Gallery last week, just a few days before it was due to close.

There is no doubt in my mind that she is a tremendous and accomplished photographer, just a google image search of her name alone brings up more than 80,000 results, having been commissioned to work with iconic celebrities from Angelina Jolie to the Queen Mother throughout her professional career.


I was enthralled to see so much of her work in the Vanity Fair exhibition held at the NPG last year, so I was expecting more of the same this time around; magical fairytale-esque portraits of Hollywood's hottest, seemingly candid portraits of the bold and the beautiful.

What I was surprised to be more drawn in by, was the family portraits on display from her personal annals.

Incredibly delicate captures of her mother and father in softening sunlight on a boat somewhere, her beautiful, picture-perfect daughter and the relaxation of inimitable
Susan Sontag.

If you've missed the exhibition on it's world tour, then you'll need to buy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

previous posts

Loves the Light

My photo
London Town, United Kingdom
I like photos and books and reading books about photos. I also like trees and chocolate and cafes with bookshelves. I live in North London with my Australian husband and his three guitars. Tell me something, anything: Chloe{@}caughtthelight{dot}com